After Trump pulled out of the 2015 Paris Climate Agreement, many have been wondering if all hope is lost? We’ve complied a list of some main people who have spoken out and shown that climate change cannot be ignored.
By Molly Newhouse
Here are some condemnations of Trump’s decision to pull out:
- Angela Merkel: said, “We need the Paris agreement to protect all of creation. Nothing can and nothing will stop us.”
- Jean-Claude Juncker: said, “There is no backsliding on the Paris agreement.”
- Emmanuel Macron: said, “Wherever we live, whoever we are, we all share the same responsibility: make our planet great again.”
- Taro Aso: said, “I’m not just disappointed, but also feel anger.”
- Elon Musk (head of Tesla): said, “Climate change is real. Leaving Paris is not good for America or the world.”
- Bernie Sanders: said, “we do not have the moral right to turn our backs on efforts to preserve this planet for future generations.”
Bill de Blasio: said, “President Trump can turn his back on the world, but the world cannot ignore the very real threat of climate change.
- John Kerry: said, “It isolates the United States after we had united the world.”
By condemning Trump’s actions, other countries and leaders see the negative response and are hopefully encouraged to continue to reduce emissions and meet the main target of the Paris Agreement- to keep global temperature rise below 2C above pre-industrial levels. Do not fear, there is hope and love in the world. Climate change can be tackled if the people demand it.